Wally Beets – John Marino Scholarship
This scholarship honors two individuals who displayed great devotion to the Salina Country Club, its members and the employees; Wally Beets, an accomplished golfer, teacher and Golf Professional and John Marino a devoted and proficient General Manager. Wally’s and John’s dedication to their jobs was beyond that of what was normally expected of individuals holding positions such as theirs at other country clubs. Through their efforts the Salina Country Club came to enjoy great success as a Club and is, to this day, recognized as being one of the truly great Clubs of Kansas. This was accomplished with considerably less financial resources than other high profile Clubs in Kansas and could have only occurred because of their incredible commitment. In keeping with both Wally’s and John’s spirit, the fund was established to benefit selected current or former employees in their pursuit of further education beyond their high school education. Wally and John appreciated young hardworking teenagers who gave great service and worked to improve themselves through their own efforts. Wally and John both encouraged these types of individuals and would love nothing more than to help young men and women reach their goals.
Any Salina Area High School Senior/Graduate
- Applicants currently are or have been employed by the Salina Country Club within the 24 previous months or are the child of a current or previous employee of the Salina Country Club within the previous 24 months.
- Applicants must be eligible to attend or are currently attending any accredited post-secondary school.
- Applicants must have a 2.0 minimum GPA.
- Applicants must provide a letter of recommendation from a current or former teacher, or another adult for whom the applicant has studied or worked – outside of the Salina Country Club.
- Applicant should display strong characteristics in one or more areas including: leadership, community service, extra-curricular school activities or employment.
- All merit criteria being the same, the primary basis for awarding scholarships will be student financial need.
- All applicants shall be judged on the merit of the application with regard to the criteria outlined above, and no special preference shall be given to applicants because they may be members of the Salina Country Club.
This award is not renewable.